Monday, December 15, 2008

Its beginning to look alot like Christmas...

My mom once said to me that I shouldn't BBQ cause that takes away my hubby's purpose in the kitchen, so... I guess this applies too! But I love to pull out the ol' box of lights each year and hang them up. I love searching to find the broken bulbs, testing the strand before climbing the ladder, but the biggest reason of all is its sentimental. I am lucky to own the strands that were on my house as a child. Well, only a few now! I figured if they were sparking I should probably retire them. So I have enjoyed robbing those strands of C9 bulbs that are so hard to find. I really love the orange ones. I love how classic they are. I love climbing on the roof and watching the neighborhood from a different view. I love how concerned my kids get while mom is in danger and I love Steve for letting me do this manly job!



Christmas is such a fun time of year, full of joy and traditions. Its so festive and cozy. This year is just as busy as ever, but I am trying to be prepared. A year or so back while I was letting life get a hold of me. Not feeling like I was doing things right or even at all. A beautiful friend of mine (mother of 8!) gave me some wonderful advice.
GET BACK TO THE BASICS. She asked me if I was praying every morning and reading my scriptures daily. No, of course I wasn't! I was living in total chaos, moving and a new baby & so on...
So this year, at Christmastime, Crazy busy time, I decided I would do just that. GET BACK TO THE BASICS! I want to feel the spirit more and get more out of life. I tend to muscle my way through life WAY too much. I need to have more faith. The funny thing is it totally works. My days are happier, I accomplish more & I am NICER! Now who doesn't want that?
So maybe, to my wonderful friends reading this, try to GET BACK TO THE BASICS & enjoy this season and the New Year to come. Heavens knows we could all use it!

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

I'm with you, not on roof or course, but in doing the man jobs, aren't they just the most fun! Well, maybe not the most fun to you who sews like a professional wedding dress designer, but to me, those guy jobs are just really great. Your photos are great, and I'm on the same pages as you with the scriptures too, such a big difference, with such a little "blue" book! Thanks for sharing! And I'm loving picasa3!!!!! Thanks!

Janie said...

Oh you are so right Noe! If we could all just get back to the basics . . . and stay there! All I know is that I am truly happier on the days when I slow down and take time to pray and read and appreciate all of the blessings that surround me. I love what you're doing with the "canned butter" - I'd love to hear more about it. One good outcome of this little financial "struggle" we're going through is that I am definitley more thrifty than I used to be, and am truly interested in getting organized, buying in bulk, canning, etc. Oh, and I thought you'd like to know that I ordered that "Hunger Free Forever" book and it came yesterday, so wish me luck!!!