Monday, January 25, 2010

SUPA-STAR


AMP 1
Stand Up Basketball
January 2010

Last summer we were on vacation in Utah. We were eating at the
TRAINING TABLE. ring, ring.  A man stopped Steve on our way our & asked him if he played a little basketball. Well, I'm not surprised! He IS tall...dark & handsom. Oops, I got caried away. After a long conversation, they exchanged phone numbers and Steve was invited to play on this stand-up basketball team called AMP 1. The team is made up of amputees from all of the U.S.

He was a bit honored, excited & tenative. He didn't know what to expect.

Last week FREEDOM INNOVATIONS, a prosthetic company, flew him to Utah for the game & speaking engagments. It turned out to be a great expierence for him as well as the rest of the team. They recieved awesome media coverage. They were on the news in Utah & in the Deseret News.

We are hoping this is only the begining! The next game is in Mattituck, NY in March.  I hope I get to go with him...HE NEEDS THE SUPPORT all the way across the country & a companion in the BIG APPLE.

Don't you agree?


I am SO proud of Steve.

Always have been.

So much of what I love & admire about Steve has to do with that fateful accident that took place almost 22 years ago. He took what life gave him and has made the best of it.  If you know him, you know what I mean!

I love to watch him play. I must admit, I love to hear the whispers in the crowd about how is an inspiration to so many people or that he really is good at the game despite his "disability." I sit quietly with sweet satisfaction in my heart as I listen. I am thankful that I am the lucky girl that gets to walk out of the gym with him!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

SO FUN!!!! I would have loved to have seen the game!

Julie said...

We saw the article and pictures in the paper. So cool! Steve, you are an inspiration! We would love to come see you play when you are in our area again.

just the five of us said...

That is so cool! I have always admired Steve. I know he hides his pain behind that big smile. He really is an inspiration to all of us! Hope you get to go NY.